I never realized how a tiny crack in my car windshield could turn into a huge long crack that takes the length of the windshield in just a few short months..
When the weather outside started to get hot, the small crack started to grow longer and longer until it was too big to repair and I had to get it replaced.
If you catch the crack immediately you might be able to get a company to repair it will a strong epoxy glue that they use. If the crack starts to look like a star burst, its too late for a repair job and you will need to replace the broken windshield with a new after market glass.
Here are some questions to ask a repair or replacement glass shop about broken windshields before you hire them:
1. What about the vehicle inspection sticker — do you replace that as well or will I need to buy a new one?
2. Do they provide a mobile service to your work or home?
3. Do they bill your auto insurance company directly?
4. Do they use OEM windshields or aftermarket (which are much cheaper) ?
5. How long will the repair take and when can you drive the vehicle?
6. Is there a lifetime warranty or a limited warranty period, what does it cover?
7. Have you compared their prices with others in your area?
8. Are there any hidden charges or fees you need to be aware of?
9. What are their hours of operation?
10. Does the replacement and billing to my insurance company affect my insurance rates?
11. How long does it take to replace the windshield?
12. Will they replace/repair a broken windshield when it is raining or snowing outside?